Long term performance without excessive risk
Objective: aiming to provide long-term capital appreciation by investing primarily in equity or equity-related securities of small and mid-capitalisation companies. These companies are domiciled in the US or derive a large proportion of their income from US activities. They are primarily listed or traded in the US or Canada.
"We are looking for companies underneath Wall Street's radar, not shooting stars. We firmly believe the tortoise beats the hare."
Why Hermes for US equities?
- High quality: we define quality as durable competitive advantage. Companies that have this often exhibit high market share, industry-leading margins and good cash-flow generation.
- Long-term investment: the average holding period is three to five years. This longer-term focus allows the team to take advantage of short-term swings in investor sentiment to identify attractive entry points for investment.
- Lower risk: the focus on quality and cash-flow generation gives a degree of downside protection. We believe this provides a relatively low-risk way of accessing this asset class.
- Stable returns: investments in high-quality businesses tend to preserve capital in down markets, thereby lowering risk.
We invest in high-quality companies that we believe possess a durable competitive advantage. We value consistency and stable, growing revenues and cash flow. Over time, we believe that companies that exhibit these characteristics outperform with less risk. Our investment criteria are based on company fundamentals, not macro driven.
US Small and mid cap
We have a watchlist of about 200 companies that meet our quality criteria, which has been built up over the past 10 years and supports timely investment when valuations are appropriate. A detailed company report and cash flow model is produced for each potential investment. We then perform a composition review, an optimisation tool which is run monthly, incorporating quantitative and qualitative data on each of our companies to effectively manage position sizes.
A track record of performance
Small and mid-cap stocks have historically provided better returns over time. The Hermes US SMID Strategy, upon which this product is based, has a long track record of outperformance1.
The majority of risk in our portfolio comes from stock selection – the team’s core competency – and we regularly test for unintended factor risks. Hermes EOS provides us with proprietary data about environmental, social and governance risks that may influence the performance of companies.
1. Since inception on 31 October 1987 the Hermes US Small & Mid Cap Companies Strategy has outperformed the Russell 2500 index by 1.36% on an annualised basis as at 30 September 2016. Performance shown is in USD and is gross of fees. A full GIPS disclosure report is available on the latest strategy factsheet.
Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results and targets are not guaranteed.