Hermes Fund Managers Limited (“Hermes”) is acting as data controller in relation to the information we receive directly or indirectly as part of a job application process. This privacy notice explains how we use and store any personal information we collect about you during this job application process. If you have any queries about the process or how we handle your information please contact us at InfoProtect@hermes-investment-com
This privacy notice will address the following:
- What will we do with the information you provide to us?
- What information do we ask for, and why?
- Use of data processors
- How long is the information retained for?
- Application stage
- Conditional offer
What will we do with the information you provide to us?
All of the information you provide during the process will only be used for the purpose of progressing your application, and/or to fulfil legal or regulatory requirements if necessary.
We will not share any of the information you provide during the recruitment process with any third parties for marketing purposes. We will not share or store any of your information outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) unless the role and team is based outside of the EEA. If the role and team is outside the EEA then only the specific information necessary for the application process will be shared with our colleagues in the relevant Hermes office. The information you provide will be held securely by us and/or our data processors whether the information is in electronic or physical format.
We will use the contact details you provide to us to contact you to progress your application. We will use the other information you provide to assess your suitability for the role you have applied for.
What information do we ask for, and why?
We do not collect more information than we need to fulfil our stated purposes and will not retain it for longer than is necessary.
The information we ask for is used to assess your suitability for employment. If you fail to provide information when requested, which is necessary for us to consider your application, we will not be able to process your application successfully.
It is in our legitimate interests to decide whether to appoint you to the role for which you have applied since it would be beneficial to our business to appoint someone to that role.
We also need to process your personal information to decide whether to enter into a contract of employment with you.
Use of third party data processors
Third party processors provide elements of our recruitment service for us, this includes both the recruitment agencies providing your CV as well as the agencies that perform credit checks and criminal record checks. We have contracts in place with our data processors. In providing these services they are instructed by us as the Data Controller to follow specific guidelines when processing your personal that align with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). They will not share your personal information with any organisation apart from us.
How long is the information retained for?
If you are successful, the information you provide during the application process will be retained by us as part of your employee file for the duration of your employment plus 6 years following the end of your employment. This includes your criminal records certificate number, records of any security checks and references.
If you are unsuccessful at any stage of the process, the information you have provided until that point will be retained for 12 months from the closure of the campaign or you can request for immediate disposal via an email instruction to InfoProtect@hermes-investment.com.
We ask you for your personal details including name and contact details. We will also ask you about your previous experience, education, referees and for answers to questions relevant to the role you have applied for. Our Human Resource team will have access to all of this information in order to process your application.
In addition to attending an interview, we might ask you to participate in assessment days; complete tests or occupational personality profile questionnaires; or a combination of these using internal or external third party assessment processors. Information will be generated by you and by us. This information is held by Hermes in accordance with this Privacy Notice.
Any offer of employment is conditional on satisfactory pre-employment checks. We are required to confirm the identity of our staff, their right to work in the United Kingdom (or other relevant jurisdiction where you will be working) and seek assurance as to their trustworthiness, integrity and reliability.
You will therefore be required to provide either via a secure portal link or in person:
- Proof of your identity – you will be asked to attend our office with original documents, we will take copies. This may include Passport, Drivers Licence or Birth Certificate.
- Proof of your qualifications – you will be asked to attend our office with original documents, we will take copies.
- Proof of address – Bank statement, Council Tax or Utility Bill.
- Information in order to complete an application for a Basic Criminal Record check via the Disclosure and Barring Service, which will verify your declaration of unspent convictions.
- We will contact your referees, using the details you provide in your application, directly to obtain references.
- Details you will be required to provide prior to joining Hermes include:
- Bank details – to process salary payments
- HMRC New Starter Form
- Emergency contact details – so we know who to contact in case you have an emergency at work
- Information in respect of any reasonable adjustments to your work space due to a medical condition
- Passport/Visa verification (Original must be seen)
- Information about directorships
- Information about personal shares/equity held
Information gathered during the recruitment process and on boarding will align to the Hermes Records Retention Policy.